Monday, August 3, 2009

How can you tell why fermentation has stuck, and how do you fix it?

I'm making some pomegranate wine, and it started out bubbling vigourously for about 5 days. Then, it slowed way down for no apparently reason. It kept bubbling slowly, but not as much as before. The specific gravity went down from 1.10 (to start) to 1.01. That tells me it is not done yet and it is still fermenting, but it has slowed way down. How can I tell why it has slowed down, and how do I fix it?

How can you tell why fermentation has stuck, and how do you fix it?
I don't think it's stuck. Last week I started a batch of beer, starting potential alcohol was 9.2%. Today it was 2.9%. i think the ending potential gravity was 1.025. If you've got 1.01 it's probably done fermenting.
Reply:At a gravity of 1.010, it's almost done. A swing of 90 points indicates that your brew is at around 12% alcohol, which isn't bad for a wine. It will also be lightly sweet.





I don't think it's stuck. It's fairly normal for the ferment to slow down towards the end. Depending on what yeast you used, it may be reaching it's alcohol tolerance. Only the few hearty yeasts will keep going to the end.





It might be an acid level too high or low, but I think it's fine. Just wait more. :)



affiliate

No comments:

Post a Comment